- Down syndrome is because of a trouble with a baby‘s chromosomes. commonly, someone has forty six chromosomes. however the general public with Down syndrome have 47 chromosomes. In rare cases, other chromosome problems reason Down syndrome. Having extra or bizarre chromosomes modifications the manner the brain and body expand.
most youngsters with Down syndrome have:
- Different facial features, consisting of a flat face, small ears, slanting eyes, and a small mouth.
- A quick neck and brief arms and legs.
- Low muscle tone and free joints. Muscle tone typically improves with the aid of past due childhood.
- Underneath–average intelligence.
Many children with Down syndrome also are born with coronary heart, intestine, ear, or breathing problems. These fitness conditions often lead to other problems, including airway (breathing) infections or listening to loss. however most of these issues may be handled.
Your health practitioner may additionally advocate that you have exams during pregnancy to discover if your child has Down syndrome. you can decide to have:
Such as an ultrasound or a blood test all through your first or 2d trimester. these can help display if the growing baby (fetus) is at danger for Down syndrome. however these tests occasionally provide false–wonderful or fake–negative effects.
Together with chronic villus sampling or amniocentesis. those can display if a toddler has Down syndrome. you may want to have these tests if you have bizarre effects from a screening take a look at or in case you are involved approximately Down syndrome.
every so often a toddler is recognized after delivery.
A doctor can also have a good concept that a infant has Down syndrome based at the way the child appears and the effects of a physical examination. To make sure, the toddler‘s blood might be examined. it can take 2 to three weeks to get the take a look at outcomes.
Available applications start with interventions in infancy. Federal regulation calls for that states provide remedy applications for qualifying families. In these packages, unique schooling instructors and therapists will assist your toddler examine:
Language and Cognitive capabilities